Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Taming the Scrap Bin(s): Part 2

Another Scrap Quilt!


Since I had so much fun digging through my scrap bins in Part 1 of Taming the Scrap Bins (and since I never finish a quilt without starting another one first), I dug out a bunch of "strings"  (anything at least 6" long and no wider than 2" or so) and some used dryer sheets to use as a foundation, and started this. Like my "bricks" quilt, every scrap has a memory attached to it. While sewing the strips onto the dryer sheets, I grabbed strings from the pile totally at random, making sure only that I was using a variety of widths and that no fabric was repeated within a sheet. The strings didn't all have straight, parallel edges- so it's a little "wonky", which I like. This is such a liberating exercise- you should try it!

Once each sheet was full, I trimmed it to 6" wide and straightened the top and bottom edges so they can be sewn together in long strips (as shown above) later. Right now I have no idea how big this thing is going to be, but I am thinking about sashing between the strips in a color that will bring all the scraps together, and some kind of scrappy border at the top and bottom instead of all the way around.

For this and the "bricks" quilt, I plan to piece a backing out of fabrics left over from many years of projects. I'm not too worried about having all those seams in the backing, since I will probably just machine quilt it in a large meandering pattern. Wish me luck- I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.