Monday, April 30, 2012

Taming the Scrap Bin(s): Part 1

These are my scrap bins:


Here's what I worked on this weekend:



The blocks are all sewn and arranged for this lap-size (approximately 60x72) quilt, based on a tutorial by Bonnie Hunter @ Quiltville.com. It's made up of 2" x 3.5" rectangles (Bonnie calls them "bricks") with 3.5" solid  background squares to bring all the scraps together. It didn't make a dent in my scrap bins, but it was loads of fun!


Each section is incredibly ugly when viewed alone, but when it comes together, it'll be the most cheerful, colorful, fun quilt. And the best thing about it is that nearly every scrap in it provokes some delightful memory. The giraffe print at left (you can see I had to do some seam-ripping and left the threads hanging there...) reminds me of a sewing student from a few years back. Jake chose his "PJs for the whole family" pattern and this adorable giraffe print, and over the next six weeks, completed his jammies. Now, when the most female students finish and want to try their new garments on, they go to an entirely separate room, lock the door, and do it in total secrecy. They usually won't come out to model for the group, even if the garment is a perfect fit. But Jake wasn't shy- he just went around the corner, took off his jeans, and tried on his new PJs. He came out, too, with this funny expression on his face, and looking like the Incredible Hulk wearing Bill Bixby's pants (only without the rips). He never cracked a smile- just said "I think I accidentally made the little kids' size". I will never forget that young man (wouldn't have even without his scrap in my quilt).

The blue calico is from a colonial dress I made my daughter when she was six or seven; the Mary Engelbreit fabric is from a picnic blanket I made my sister's kids; the purple was in a Flower Fairy/log cabin quilt I made Mabzie; and the dark blue floral was in my very first quilt.

I can't wait to finish it, but I'll probably start something else first- I always do!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.