Ways to Reduce or Eliminate Food Waste:
- Plan your meals for the week.
- Shop with a list, and stick to it.
- Purchase only a few days worth of perishable foods, and make sure you eat them before they spoil.
- Store food properly.
- Understand expiration and "sell by" dates.
- Organize your refrigerator and utilize your freezer.
- Make good use of leftovers.
Each of these tips is worthy of its own post, and will get one very soon! Meanwhile, start thinking (if you don't already) that food = money. It's not enough to get the best price in the grocery store- we have to use all of the food we buy.
Last week, after being so proud of myself for changing brands of butter beans to save six cents a can, I had to throw away some sour milk and a whole cucumber. My savings were more than canceled out in that transaction. Gotta be more careful...
*Leftovers: Tasty or Trash by Sarah Nassauer