Saturday, May 12, 2012

Make Your Own: Bike Basket

Mabzie wanted a Nantucket-style bike basket. So, the other day I found this cute basket for $1.98 at the Y Thrift Shop. It said to me "I would make a great bike basket, take me home", so I did!


Today we got out our Minwax pecan stain and spray polyurethane*. I snipped off the top handle, Mabz stained and her Daddy sprayed. It stained quite a bit darker than the photo shows- the sun was very bright! Then we mounted it to the front of her bike with wire ties. Ta-da! 

It feels good to make your own lower-cost alternative to an expensive product (and to teach a young person how to improvise).

*We saved $33 plus shipping compared to purchasing the advertised basket. The Minwax products would've added around $10 to the project if we hadn't had them on hand.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I'll be making this today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.