Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesday Tips: Rules for Children in the Home, circa 1951


I'm still browsing this booklet from 1951, only this time, I found something I really like!


I think that, unlike last week's antiquated laundry tips, this list is exactly what we should be teaching our children about respect for others: 

Children in the Home


"Always greet the members of your family when you enter and always bid them goodbye when you leave.

Always rise to a standing position when visitors enter, and greet them after your elders.

Never interrupt a conversation. Wait until the party talking has finished.

Always rise when your visitor or your elders stand.

Never let your mother or your father bring you a chair or get one themselves. Wait on them instead of being waited on.

If  you leave or cross the room you should say "Excuse me."

If a visitor should say, "I am glad to have seen you," you should say, "Thank you."

Never run up and down the stairs or across the room.

Talk in a low, even voice. It denotes refinement.

Never retire without bidding the members of your family good night.

Follow these suggestions and you will assist in making the members of your family happy as well as in benefiting them in many other ways."


I think this list, even though it's over 60 years old, it still relevant. To update it to the 21st century, I would only add:

Never bring your phone, ipod or ipad to a family meal or gathering. Use this time to engage in meaningful conversation with those around you.

Can I get a "hell, yeah" or an "amen" (whichever is more your style) to that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.