Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sewing Room Sunday: Vintage-Look Drawer Labels


I made labels for some of my wicker drawers months ago, but didn't get them attached until my recent sewing cottage clean-up. That's so like me! Actually, I had tried to stick them on with glue dots before, which seemed to work fine. But the next day they had fallen off and were all stuck to each other on the floor. 

Here's how I made them:







1. I used Steam-A-Seam 2 to adhere vintage pattern instructions to a piece a card stock. If you follow the instructions on the package, Steam-A-Seam does a much smoother and more permanent job of sticking paper or fabric to card stock than glue or other methods I've tried. (The card stock was actually some ugly art prints that ended up in the "free bin" at my favorite thrift shop.)

2. Then, I cut the desired size tags with a rotary cutter and see-through ruler.

3. The letters were from some scrapbook paper I'd purchased on clearance for $.25/sheet. I just glue-sticked (or would it be glue-stuck?) them on since they're small and won't ripple.

4. Since the glue dots didn't stick to the wicker, Mabzie punch a hole in each one and tied it on with some narrow bias binding we had hanging around in one of the drawers. I though heavy twine would've worked well, but didn't have any. Improvise, improvise, improvise!

I love the vintage feel they give the drawers, and I love knowing what's in which drawer! And as always, I'm thrilled that they cost me very little, and utilized materials we already had.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.