Friday, June 15, 2012

Clean Sewing Room (Miracle)

My sewing cottage was an unbelievable mess (see before pictures here).

I worked on it for a few hours this week; then Mabz and I spent all day yesterday- and I really mean all day - in there, up to our ears in sewing stuff (and dirt). You see, when your sewing space is not in your actual house, it gets a different kind of dirty. You get mulch and mud tracked in, cobwebs, dust... and you don't clean it as often (not often at all). Not to mention all the thread, fabric fibers and dust that come from your sewing and crafting activities. Well, that's enough explanation (euphemism for excuses). Let's get on with the after pictures (clockwise around the room):
Bins and drawers hold scraps, notions and crafting supplies. To see how I made-over the plastic bins on the second and third shelves, click here.
My new design board started out in life as Mabzie's National History Day project (shown below). It's a wood frame with foam-core panels, which works great. Fabric won't stick to it like flannel, but it's easy to pin into. 
Look what all's hiding behind it (now you know where some of the junk went!). It can also be used as a dressing screen if I'm hemming for a friend, or a student wants to try on a garment! 
Notice my husband's picture near the top center of my bulletin board... Oh, no, wait a minute- that's some gorgeous South American soccer player named Nacho something-or-other, who moonlights as a Ralph Lauren model.
The serger threads got all sucked up in the vacuum cleaner and mangled up and tangled up, so it's time to get out the threading instructions! Honestly, I usually just change colors by tying off to the new spools, loosening the tension, and running the thread through until the color changes! Oh, well... at least my sewing area is neat now.
Below is Mabzie's sewing desk. Now that's it all clean, she's promised to come up and sew with me more! Her design board is a thick foam panel (given to us at Sew Biz Quilt Camp a couple of years ago) covered with tea-dyed muslin.
OK. Let's see how long it stays this way! (Allison, if you're reading this, I didn't find your tote bag pattern.)

1 comment:

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.