Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Happy Summer Solstice! (+ Bird Pictures)




The summer solstice is our longest day and shortest night of the year. It's not just a date, but a specific point in time: specifically, in the Northern hemisphere, this year, 7:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

One source says the word comes from combining the Latin words sol and stice, which mean sun and to stand still.  TimeandDate.com says it comes from the Latin solstitium, meaning sun-stopping. Both origins would make sense because, on this day, the point at which the sun appears to rise and set peaks and reverses direction.

I hope you enjoyed every moment of your sunniest day of the year! I know my family did.

Bird Pictures

I mentioned my new family of bird bottle Bluebird babies in a previous post and promised a picture. If you look closely you can see the one on the left with his yellow beak open on the left, the middle brother is laying low (you can see his right eye), and the on on the right is trying to hide. I'm just happy I was able to get any kind of picture at all!


I also posted previously about our sleepy front porch bird. I said it was hard to get a good image of her because she always had her nose stuck in the corner. Guess what? She wasn't so shy tonight...and she arrived a bit before dark so I could photograph her.


So tomorrow's just a teeny-weeny bit shorter than today- don't waste a minute! Get out there and enjoy yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Love the babies! Worked getting ready for coffee filter fans@ BRQfestival 2moro :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to stop by BRQF this weekend. Maybe I'll see you there! Thanks so much for your comments.

      Delete

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.