Saturday, June 2, 2012

How We Know It's Summer! (And Potato Packet Ideas)

The Old Farmer's Almanac might say that summer officially arrives at 7:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time on June 20, but as far as I'm concerned, it's here! These are the signs that summer began this week:

  • School's out

(Sorry, I couldn't resist... )



  • Mabzie picked the first of many roadside daisies for our Fostoria American vase (a summer tradition since she was old enough to pick them):
  • We fired up our grill today for the first burgers of the season.

The foil pouches on the left are our favorite grilled potato packets. They're my summer version of Potatoes Anna. It started out with a recipe from Southern Living, which I can't seem to find anymore, and has evolved now into more of a technique:

  1. Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray for each serving. 
  2. Place a couple of thin pats of butter on each sheet.
  3. Layer very thinly sliced potatoes (either peeled or not, your choice) in a circular pattern. Place a little more butter on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Add other seasoning or onions if you like. The one above is plain 'cause that's how my husband and daughter like it.
  4. Fold foil into packets as you see on the grill above and cook 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how hot your grill gets! Make sure to check that they aren't getting burned on the bottom, and flip over at least once during cooking.
  5. Open packets and chow down!
If you're more comfortable with an actual recipe, I'd urge you to try one of these links. They all sound great!

  • Our little birdie's back! She (or I guess it could be he...) has slept above the column on our front porch for several summers now. I'm not sure of the species because she keeps her head buried in the corner, like you see here. So it's hard to take her picture, but I'm always happy to see her! 

In other bird news, the bird bottle above our back entrance (the one I said no bird family had ever nested in) is now home to another bluebird. I hope that means more babies, since I didn't get to see the others leave the nest!

What signifies summer around your house? I'd love to hear what's happening this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.