Friday, June 29, 2012

Devilishly Delicious!


I've been dreaming of deviled eggs ever since I read this post on Kath Eats Real Food.  So I finally made some! I didn't take pictures of my eggs  (because hers look so much better), nor did I take pictures of the process (because she did a great job with that, too). But I will add my two cents worth to the subject: my favorite deviled egg recipe.


Zesty Deviled Eggs


6 hard-cooked eggs
3 tablespoons Miracle Whip Light
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
dash salt & pepper


1. BOIL EGGS:  Put eggs in saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil- then reduce to simmer and start timing about 15 minutes (according to Joy of Cooking). Plunge in cold water immediately after cooking to stop the cooking process and prevent discoloration of yolks.

2. Slice eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks.

3. Mash yolks and mix well with other ingredients.

4. Stuff egg whites. Like Kath, I just stuff them with a spoon. I never feel like getting out (and cleaning up) all the pastry decorating paraphernalia just for deviled eggs. Maybe if I were serving them to guests...


My Summer Deviled Eggs




In summer, I like fresh-tasting dishes, and I have a nice little patch of lemon thyme growing in my herb garden. So, for my summer deviled eggs, I mix the yolks with Miracle Whip Light, lemon juice, a handful of lemon thyme, salt and pepper.

I imagine many fresh herbs would be just as good. Experiment a little! Sometimes I make "summer eggs" in winter by substituting dried dill. 


If you don't have an herb garden (or room for one), try container gardening!  All you need is a sunny spot like a windowsill, patio or balcony. 


How do you use your fresh herbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.