Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Ever

A chef I once knew (who is no longer with us) made the most delicious macaroni and cheese. When I asked for the recipe years ago, he was happy to oblige. The only problem was, he had been making it in a hotel pan for a restaurant buffet! He stood there on the spot and figured out (while I took notes) how I would make just enough for a family. After tweaking it just a tad, it turned out just like his! Now that Fred is gone, I like to think that I make the best mac and cheese around.  No sense keeping all that creamy, cheesy deliciousness to myself, so here it is... Enjoy!


Fred's Macaroni & Cheese

4 cups macaroni
2 1/2 cups milk (I use fat-free... might as well try to counteract all that cheese)
2 eggs
5 cups grated cheddar cheese (I like Kraft Triple Cheddar mixed with any sharp cheddar)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
3. Put drained noodles back into pot and mix with three cups of the cheese.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In separate bowl beat eggs with fork. Mix in milk and dry mustard. Add to macaroni in pan and mix well.
5. Spray 13x9 (3 quart) baking dish with cooking spray and pour in macaroni mixture.
6. Top with 2 more cups of cheese.
7. Bake 25-30 minutes until bubbly.

This recipe feeds my family of three as a main dish at least twice. You can easily cut the recipe in half and bake it in a 2 quart dish, but I  never do this. You may want to stick with nearly the same amount of cheese on top, since the surface area of the casserole is not that much smaller. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.