Thursday, October 4, 2012

Good Signs (and Good Food)

On an afternoon outing with my husband, I saw something that made me say, "well, it's about time." In the tiny one-stoplight town of Floyd VA, two of my favorite establishments displayed this sign in their windows:


Thank you, Blue Ridge Restaurant (home of my favorite grilled tuna sandwich) and Floyd Country Store (home of nostalgic penny candy and bluegrass music) for welcoming moms, their breasts and their babies instead of giving them dirty looks.

If you are a business owner, please consider registering with BreastFedBabies.org and displaying their welcome signs. If you're a breastfeeding mom, or have ever been one, thank these merchants for their hospitality.

Then, on the way out of town, I stopped at a quaint Amish (or Mennonite) bakery called the Bread Basket. It turns out that they sell not only baked goods, but bulk foods and deli items as well. I might add that their prices are really reasonable, too.


For $12.73, I got a pound of banana chips, a pound of yogurt raisins, a pound and a half of seasoned bread crumbs, an 8 ounce jar of hot pepper jelly and a bag of cinnamon sticks. I'm pretty sure I purchased each item for considerably less than what I pay at WalMart, and certainly less than at the regular grocery store.

That's where I got my second good sign of the day, which I feel may have actually been put up there just for me to see:


On that note, I think I'll shut down my computer for the night and go spend some time with my hubby.



1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love the Bread Basket. It is one of the 3 places I have on my "must stop there" when we are in that 'neck of the woods.' The other two are the Old School Quilt Shop & the Buffalo Resturant in Riner (sorry, I don't remember the real name of the resturant).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.