Thursday, April 25, 2013

Homekeeping Inspiration


A quote from this book I picked up at the library sums up my homekeeping philosophy better than anything I've ever read:

"It is of the utmost importance... to make home attractive, not merely to a stranger, but to all the family. Order and neatness in all the domestic arrangements will, of course, conduce largely to this end. No dwelling can have the air of comfort, and cheerfulness, and thrift, without this essential condition." 
(The Farmer's Almanac, 1876)


How much time do people in your house spend searching for misplaced items, or digging through a piles to find what they are looking for? Does clutter in your living space prevent you from relaxing and enjoying your leisure time? Have you ever scrambled to neaten up the house in anticipation of a guest's when your family has lived with the mess all week? Your family deserves to live in a pleasant environment and should work together to achieve it.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not neat by nature, but I have learned that it's worth the effort to make sure there's "a place for everything, with everything in its place." And I'm not bragging on my homemaking abilities. My husband is an excellent cleaner and organizer, and my daughter was taught early on how to contribute. As a result, neatness and order dramatically reduce stress in our household. 

I'm not suggesting that your housekeeping habits have to be perfect. Just keep your home in a way that makes your family the happiest. Beauty and comfort are certainly important contributors to our well-being. And organization helps life run smoothly, creating a calming and soothing atmosphere in which your family can thrive and prosper.

Would you say that the degree of attractiveness, neatness and organization at home affects your state of mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.