Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pumpkin Gingerbread


I've posted two sweet bread recipes previously (Cranberry-Pumpkin Bread and Banana Gingerbread), which I would've sworn (and probably did swear) were the best ever! Well, they were good, but this amazing loaf is even better. I'd love to cite the original recipe source, but it's been languishing in my file too long to say where it came from! 


Pumpkin Gingerbread

Batter:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon ginger

Topping:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350  degrees and grease a 9x5x3" loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, sift together 1 cup of the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda.
3. Add pumpkin, molasses, eggs, butter, milk and ginger. Blend well.
4.Add remaining flour and beat well to combine.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan. For topping, mix walnuts and sugar together and sprinkle over batter. 
6. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
7. Cool on wire rack. Wrap in plastic wrap for storage. Though I didn't try it yet, this bread should freeze well, too.

My family is so-o-o-o glad I finally tried this one. It's their new favorite- and mine, too! Try it and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.