Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My New Addiction...

is wool applique! Like I needed another hobby, but I'm totally hooked. Most of my sewing and quilting requires a sewing machine, but I actually enjoy this handwork, and it's totally portable. And you get to fondle all that wonderful wool!

Our quilt guild had a Spring Retreat on St. Patrick's Day.  All 13 ladies in attendance had a fabulous time.  In the morning, we made eyeglass cases. Here's mine:


I almost finished it before we broke for lunch! The free Better Homes & Gardens pattern is here.  Sandra had lovely kits prepared for us, but then she made the mistake of telling us we could explore her scrap basket! I couldn't resist digging around until I found something to make it "mine". My photo doesn't show it well, but I fell in love with the precious peach/green plaid I used for the largest circle of the flower.

In the afternoon, Paula presented Jinny Beyer's "Color Confidence for Quilters".  We had great fun, and I learned so much about color, but I'm not sure I feel that much more confident. I think I may need a tutor!

As an extra retreat "goody", we all got to choose a wool applique pincushion kit.  I chose the sunflower,


since I had already done the star when Sandra taught these stitches at a regular guild meeting:


So, I have learned something new and didn't even add to my "started-it-at-a-retreat-brought-home-and-threw-it-on-the-pile" pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.